Mandai mangrove and mudflat workshop, 31 Aug 2013
Venue: LT25, Department of Biological Sciences, NUS. See: http://sms.math.nus.edu.sg/map/LT25.pdf
Five minute research highlight presentations.
Early bird coffee, 8.00am – 9.00 am
I – Introduction, 9.00am – 9.15am by Peter Ng and Sivasothi
II – Flora of Mandai, 9.15am – 10.15am
- “An update on mangrove associates of our Mandai mangroves and other salient floristic observations,” by John Yong.
- “Is there a distribution of mangrove species across a surface elevation gradient?” By Rick Leong, Dan Friess, Lee Wei Kit, Edward L. Webb.
- “Propagule productivity of Mandai mangrove.” by Benjamin Lee, Rickson Tan, Dan Friess, Edward L. Webb. [Presented by Edward L. Webb]
- “Pollination biology of Bruguiera species in Mandai,” by Alison Wee and Edward L. Webb.
- “Tiny but mighty Beccarii: A Seagrass of the Mangroves at Mandai,” by Ria Tan, Siti Maryam Yaakub & Andy Dinesh.
- “Species diversity and zonation in Mandai mangrove: the work of DH Murphy from the 1980’s,” by N. Sivasothi.
Tea Break, 10.15am – 11.00am
III – Fauna of Mandai I, 11.00am – 12.30pm
- “Systematics & ecology of mangrove crabs in Singapore,” by Ng Ngan Kee and Peter Ng.
- “Studies of mangrove crab ecology,” by N. Sivasothi.
- “The function of colourful facial bands in Perisesarma mangrove crabs.,” by Peter Todd.
- “Population and abundance of mangrove horseshoe crab in the tidal streams of Mandai Kechil system,” by Germaine Leng & N. Sivasothi.
- “Tracking studies of the mangrove crab C. rotundicauda,” by Vanitha J, Lesley Cartwright-Taylor, Harn Hua Ng, Ter Yang Goh.
- “Foraging patterns and spatial and temporal distribution of mangrove horseshoe crabs Carcinoscorpius rotundicauda,” by Ong Hui Yun & Chua Ming Shan, Wang Shu Fang, Zhang Yue, Laura Yap, Linus Mak.
- “A research update of the Nature Society (Singapore)’s horseshoe crabs rescue & research programme,” Kerry Mervyn Pereira, Hsu Chia Chi & Lesley Cartwright-Taylor.
Lunch, 12.30pm – 1.30pm
IV – Fauna of Mandai II, 1.30pm – 2.30pm
- “Update on the Comprehensive Marine Biodiversity Survey at Mandai,” by Koh Kwan Siong
- “The insects of Mandai mangrove: the work of DH Murphy,” by N. Sivasothi
- “Pornothemis starrei, that rare back mangrove specialist dragonfly of Mandai,” by Robin Ngiam.
- “The birds of Mandai,” Benjamin Lee & NS Sodhi.
- “Study on the importance and interdependence of Mandai Mudflats as a feeding ground for migratory shorebirds and SBWR as their high tide roost,” by Alan Owyong.
- “Giant bivalves in the back mangroves: Geloina spp. (Corbiculidae),” by Claire Keung Ka Yee.
V – Geomorphology of Mandai, 2.30pm – 3.00pm
- “Terrestrial Laser Scanning of mangrove roots for wave attenuation studies,” by Issac Low & Dan Friess.
- “Factors affecting sedimentation in Mandai Mangroves,” by Rachel Oh, Dan Friess, Edward L. Webb.
- “Long-term surface elevation change and vulnerability to Sea Level Rise,” Dan Friess, Lee Wei Kit & Edward L. Webb.
Tea Break II – 3.00pm – 3.45pm
VI – Management of Mandai, 3.45pm – 5.00pm
- “A summary of the threats facing Mandai Mangrove and Mudflat,” by Dan Friess.
- “Integrated Risk Assessment of Chemicals in Mangroves: Mandai’s experience,” by Stephane Bayen.
- “Assessing the health of lokan clams (Polymesoda expansa) at Mandai using biomarkers,” by Guillaume Juhel.
- “Ecological questions for the International Coastal Cleanup Singapore in Mandai,” by N. Sivasothi.
- “Managing Mandai: a strategy by Clive Briffett,” by Dan Friess.
- “Mandai Mangroves: A Link to the Green Corridor,” by Leong Kwok Peng.
- “Legal frameworks for mangrove conservation: a Mandai case study,” by Vina Dharmarajah & Lye Lin Heng.
- Wrap up discussion on Mandai, future work and questions